Since I moved to Norway the internet I’m able to get at home is pretty shitty. So I decided to order a modem from Ebay. I ordered an unlocked Huawei E398 from Lithuania that has all possible bands used by different providers here in Norway. However, it’s not plug and play for ubuntu. Even though it was stated from the seller. I tried loads and loads of different kinds of “solutions” (probably solutions to other peoples problem but not mine) online but they all failed. After a while I eventually found it. LSUSB showed it as 12d1:1505 but network-manager/modem-manager wouldn’t want to recognize it. So it had to change to 12d1:1506. This was a bit weird to fix. I had to create a file named 12d1:1505 in /etc/usb_modeswitch.d/ As you see below. $ cat /etc/usb_modeswitch.d/12d1\:1505 DefaultVendor= 0x12d1 DefaultProduct=0x1505 MessageContent="55534243123456780000000000000011062000000100000000000000000000" And then you had to call usb_modeswitch (I needed root). usb_modeswitch -I -W -c /etc/usb_modeswitch.d/12d1\:1505